Friday, February 22, 2008

I wish I was a Lighthouse Something?

Concerning the artists past work, sampling songs and playing them at the same time is an interesting idea, but most radio stations use this method to run contests (guess 5 songs played over top of each other and win tickets...). As far as the translation idea, you can find that in Kung Fu movies and cheesy Anime subtitles for decades. In addition, it is more entertaining to view the "close captioned" text stream, there are far more subtle and thought provoking errors.

The neon pieces however are more interesting. I am not quite sure what I feel about the presentation (exposed cords), but I do like the message with the sentence tube. To me is as if this neon light was wishing to be something more than it is, something bigger and brighter (a lighthouse). This is something we all strive for. There was also a certain feeling of danger with the work. Having learned that there were several pieces damaged in shipping I was wondering if the fragility could lead to popping of the tube, if someone was looking at it at that time, ohno...but that is just my head thinking too much.

1 comment:

magdalena said...

what did that sentence tube say anyways? I couldn't read it at all

~Jen