Thursday, February 21, 2008

Kartz's lecture - Jen's Response

As usual, it took me a bit to get into the conceptual nature of Kartz's work. That type of thinking and working isn't really all that familiar to me, and I kind of have to be drawn in by something in order to give it the time of day. Honestly if I had only seen one of these installments and not heard the explanation behind it, I probably wouldn't have stopped to look. What did draw me in was her emotional appeal and the themes that she didn't necessarily address. The idea of re purposing art and altering it until it could not be recognized was interesting, especially the compilation of song titles until they became a visual pattern of text. It bothered me that when talking about the piece with the sharpening knife that she didn't address the idea of having a weapon and a child playing in the same piece. It was incredibly disturbing to me to flip between hopscotch and sharp objects, and she just ignored it like it wasn't an issue in that piece. At the end of the night, the most notable thing in my mind was that at the reception very few people bothered to go into the gallery space.

-Jen Hintz

No comments: