Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Blog2 swoody

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the lecture by Harmony Hammond in person. After researching her and viewing her art online, however, I am truly disappointed that I could not hear her speak. Although her paintings, sculptures, and other works were not particularly appealing to me, the stories behind them are fascinating.
One particular article I read about some of her sculptures talked about their connections with Greek mythology and fairy tales. It also mentioned her use of human hair in several creations. Some of them seemed slightly creepy (a bag made of hair?), but the sculptures that I was able to view online were interesting (in a good way).
The paintings that I saw online seemed a bit boring to me. I personally prefer to look at representational art, but I can appreciate the work that went into layering the paint in a specific way. I'm sure that I would feel differently about the paintings if I were able to see them in person and experience the myriad textures.
I also read about her past experiences with the feminist movement and living as a homosexual. I'm sure that these experiences have greatly influenced her art. I would have liked to hear her speak about any specific instances in her life that she found particularly influential.

No comments: