Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Article Summary

I wanted to find an article that relates to my upcomming ceramics project. Unfortunately web results regarding “architectural ceramics” were plagued with links referring to the purchase of ceramic tiles and roofing equipment. I did, however, find one interesting article during my search. The publication showcased a house in China, made completely out of ceramic material. The home itself is a melting pot of natural material. Its construction involves 400,000,000 pieces of porcelain, antique ceramic, natural crystal formations, and marble carvings. The house had the look of a giant clay sculpture. It had elements of large braided coils, massive spheres, and forms. I also found it interesting that even pieces formed on the wheel were encorporated into the design. It wasn’t so much the text of the article that I found to be useful. The images of the home are what fascinated me the most. Knowing that ceramics can be applied to such an architectural realm of creation motivates me to try new techniques and methods of construction for my upcoming project.

Article Website: www.luxurylaunches.com/other_stuff/ceramic_house_in_china_worth_us65_million.php

No comments: