Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Papermilk?"

Catherine Hendrickson
Art390 MW 12:30-3:15
Blog Posting Number 1

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I attempted to put the actual photo of the art above but if that didn't work, here is the link: http://www.dusi.nl/images/test%20white%20artwork.jpg

I expected to spend a while online trying to find something really cool to talk about but was blown away when I found this less than a minute into my search. I think it was aesthetically pleasing to me and I have always had a love for black and white photos of any kind. I believe it is a very feminine piece of work because it has elements that resemble floral and pearl necklaces and also the artwork has an overall smooth and curvy nature with seems to make the piece "softer" to the eyes. My first though when looking at the piece was that it was in fact paper formed into an intricate design but almost immediately my mind saw milk being poured from higher up. If I look really hard at it though, it looks almost like computer graphics so I'm still not completely certain what it is but I like the mystery about it- I'd honestly rather NOT know what it is. I thought this piece was just amazing! If you quint your eyes at it and walk a little further away from the screen it realy looks more like a liquid but I also think it's cool how when you really examine the piece close up, there is an immense level of detail and intricateness.

My 1st project for the class is related to masks. I thought it was a good topic for natural vs. artificial because people wear natural masks (to hide their true feelings for example) as well as artificial masks (for parties etc..). I absolutley love trance music and all types related such as ambient music and one of my favorite artists in Shpongle who is primarily ambient. The symbol of this Artists work is a mask (kind of how Godsmack's symbol is a tribal sun). I believe that dance can be related to artificial vs. natural because while dance is a very natural thing is many aspects, it can also show a somewhat artificial side of people. Dancing allows us to express ourselves in ways we normally would not, or could not. I doubt, for example, that a CEO of a big company is going to openly admit he likes to dance at trance parties, so this CEO might portray aspects of being artificial UNTIL he can dance and act his natural way. That might be a little out there, but I like to think deeply and abstractly most of the time. Sooo anyway, I found an article online about masks and what they represent to other cultures and countries. The article had a lot in it about masks worn for dancing and this provided a bit of inspiration for my piece. So to sum it up for anyone who I confused- Masks can be real or fake (party masks or masks we wear to hide our emotions, like a smile when we are sad for example). Dancing can also be artificial and natural, or can serve as a natural outlet for someone who acts artificial.. kind of... Shpongle is a musical group that of course promotes dancing AND they use a mask to symbolize who they are. This is why I'm making the Shpongle mask for my first project. There is so much more in the mask article I found that lends itself to my inspiration but I strongly recommend reading it yourself and see what you can get out of it.
Here is the link:
ohoh.essortment.com/africamasks_rnqe.htm

And here is a link to the spongle mask if this picture I'm posting doesnt work: http://fusionanomaly.net/areyoushpongled.jpg

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: