Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dan Rucker
Artist/Architect: Tadao Ando
Artwork/ Project: 4x4 House
Source: Architectural Record, Senior Seminar Course

Art and Architecture go hand in hand. The design elements of architecture can be closely compared to the creative elements artists use in their work. I recently watched a film based on various artists in a course I am taking here. The documentary showcased an architect named Tadao Ando. Me having a background in architecture, I was very familiar with his work and have done extensive research on his artistic style and his philosophies on art and architecture. I found a back-issue of Architectural Record magazine that displayed a piece of work known as the 4x4 house.
The project was built as a memorial dwelling for an earthquake that devastated Osaka, Japan years ago. The design of the home was very sculptural. The exterior resembles a piece of modern abstract art. The way the house is positioned and the choice of material only adds to the look of it being a giant sculpture.
The design of this house began to inspire me to look closer into the relationship between art and architecture. The poetic meanings or purposes for architectural structures attempts to achieve the same level of impact as fine art. Architects use their architectural style to inflict an emotion on the viewer, much like artists.
I base a lot of my own artwork on the same principles in which architecture is founded on. I use complex methods of design to achieve a look of structural balance and detail. Architecture is going to play big role in my ceramics. I am going to use slab forms to construct a standing object that resembles an architecturally sound structure.
I feel as though everyones artwork can improve by doing a bit of architectural research. It has helped me look at structures in a sculptural way, and influenced my artwork.

No comments: