Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tracy Koronik

Audrey Kawasaki, Randy Noborikawa
http://www.lineagegallery.com/showdetails.php?ShowID=37

Over the summer I went to Lineage Gallery in Philadelphia to see art by Audrey Kawasaki. She had work in a show, along with Randy Noborikawa, titled The Innocents. Seeing the pieces in person was definitely a different experience than just looking at them on the internet. Her oil on wood paintings were smaller than I imagined them being; however my misconception of their size took nothing away from the work. Kawasaki’s paintings are so delicate. The translucency of the paint is wonderfully done so that the grain of the wood comes through. I really like her use of color washes and think her artwork is beautifully done. Randy Noborikawa had a harder edge southern California/Mexican feel to his work. Bold, bright colors, glitter, and fluorescent lights were incorporated into the pieces. Roses, gems, and skulls were common motifs seen throughout the paintings. I was totally digging the use of the skull. Overall, there was some very awesome work in the gallery that I wanted to take home with me.


Taxidermy
http://www.lexisnexis.com/us/lnacademic/results/docview/docview.do?risb=21_T2082674445&format=GNBFI&sort=RELEVANCE&startDocNo=1&resultsUrlKey=29_T2082674448&cisb=22_T2082674447&treeMax=true&treeWidth=0&csi=138620&docNo=1


The article I read for my outside research was about taxidermy. It relates to my ideas in that I want to make trophy heads for the first project, which is part of taxidermy. In this article I learned more about what taxidermy actually is. The process involves many measurements and sculpting a base body out of wood or other materials such as fiberglass. The actual skin of the dead animal is sewn on to the base, making it full again, like there’s really something underneath. Along with the educational purposes of taxidermy the article mentioned how it’s becoming more accepted and trendy in recent times. Taxidermy is as much about art as it is preserving a piece of nature.

No comments: