Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Kat Riley
artist: Frances Bagley
http://www.roslynoxley9.com.au/artists/31/Patricia_Piccinini/393/37043/
http://www.patriciapiccinini.net/

I looked at the work of Patricia piccinini, she makes strange sculptures that leave the viewer to think about what they are looking at. Patricia received several educational degrees from different schools in different subjects. She originally received her degree in painting, but now does a little of everything. It is one of her most recent exhibitions that originally caught my eye called "unbreaking eggs" in 2005. The show is an installation that shows a human like dog sitting on some sort of spaceship and looking out onto other kinds of spaceships. It also shows other mole like creatures that are called natures little helpers. The main idea behind this work is rebirth and that once things are done or have gone a certain way they can't go back.

When I look at this work I see a lot of ideas that I want to work towards, the craftsmanship on her work is something to admire. My work is often misunderstood much like Patricia’s could be on first glance. The small animals may seem frightening but carry a deeper purpose and message. With my work I want to use my style or to show more and communicate deeper thoughts.

I feel with my work I want to connect my knowledge and interest to the human anatomy with the surreal aspects and objects of my current environment. I often make work that is seen as scary and twisted, but I feel realistic art contributes nothing and does nothing for me. I see the skill involved with making a realistic painting but I rather see a half human half dog sculpture that has babies coming out of its back then a nice landscape. I don’t think with art that form should follow function, and its arts ability to defy what we thought was stimulating to our minds that make it so powerful.

i also read an article talking about an artist named "farmer bob". he creates paintings in which you can tell if you at looking at an ink blob or a animal or the insides of a human. this kind of work inspires me to make more at that isn't so "on the nose". i want to make things that allow the viewer to think and wonder and linger on my work. with farmer bobs work i want to stare into his paintings and try to figure out where and what every thing is and came from. he also says some really interesting and inspirational things like "I would have to say honesty. I love seeing work where you can tell the person truly loves what it is they are making. I don't know how to describe it, but I know it when I see it". i feel like after reading this article i want concern myself less with the next step in my art career and focus on what i enjoy doing, and what originally brought me to study art. http://www.juxtapoz.com/img/features/06/farmerbob/atrophy_2.jpg

No comments: