Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The artist I chose to research is the photographer Manuel Alvarez Bravo. As a photo student, i apprecaite the raw interpretation his photographs convey of his home, Mexico City. His pictures date back to 1929 and are described as thoughtful and intellectual. I like to bring a selnse of humor into my work, which is something him and I have in common. He uses witty titles to describe his work, which in effect encourages the viewer to see the pictures in a different light than they may have. He was also known to set up models in situations that appear surreal making you take a second or third look. I believe Manuel was way ahead of his time, or maybe he was the beginning of this innovative type of picture-making. Either way, he was a cool guy with a really really good eye.

No comments: