Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Alison's Response/Project Ideas

I found the article "The Inca Married the Earth" to be interesting at times but overall a bit dull. I do admire the Incan culture's appreciation for nature. The way in which the Incans worked around the land and incorporated it into their architecture really shows their respect for mother earth. They felt it should not be changed. While rock outcrops may be considered obstacles, Incan architecture was actually enhanced due to their presence. The structures created within this culture are far more interesting than almost all structures created today. Since the Incans worked with the land, there is a lack of uniformity among the structures which appeals to me.
For the second project concerning systems and architecture, i have come up with some general ideas. They are more physically developed than they are conceptually at this point. I would like to make many small indentical units and put them together to create something larger. I will play with the idea of repetition and multiples. The point of this idea is for one form to be repeated over and over again to form something entirely new and different. I am considering using the extruder to make the small units as circular shapes. I am unsure how I will choose to attach them yet. I plan to develop this idea a great deal further as i continue to research.

No comments: