Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Dan Rucker- Inka Article Response

Even before reading this article, I was familiar with the Inka's techniques of cut stone and structure relationships. I like to think of the Inka as primitive "Frank Lloyd Wright'ish" architects. The Inka believed in relating the structure to the surrounding landscape and in some cases, literally attached the structure to large rock formations or cliff overhangs. Their idea of implied lines and joint connections enhance the theory that even in ancient times, people were conscious of what is architecturally good and what isn't. The layout of the communities were much like the current studies that urban planners practice today. I found it very interesting when they discussed how the construction of dwellings is ceremonial and that an offering of alcohol or oil is poured out beneath the footing for a new construction. I also was impressed with the Inka's ability to product views from inside the structures, using window spaces, outdoor areas, and multiple level architecture.

My idea for the second project is closely related to the Inka's architecture. With the use of multiple layers of material to construct a "dwelling" and the symbiont relationship between the structure and its surroundings, I hope to represent that in my project. The same way the Inka used underlying structural elements to enhance the exterior, I am also going to use a material that I can fasten or build up an exterior facade around. Ultimately I want my next project to be a function structure with an interior and exterior, so that the viewer can experience the piece inside and out.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I am interested in your idea about creating a space within a space that can be entered and experienced. I want to know more about this space. Does it have a particular function, a history? How will it connect to its surrounding and what will surround it? Is it indoor, outdoor? What it is made of, how is it constructed? Start asking yourself questions about this space and continue to research different architects and examples of architecture that interest you. Bring in sketches and be writing about your ideas of this space.