Wednesday, October 10, 2007

For the Love of Land! and neurons....

Catherine Hendrickson

Inca Article- The article made me appreciate how the Inca's saw the land they lived on and made me wish we had that same kind of respect for land. The article spoke about the high quality of stonework which enhanced and reflects the value of their land. I thought it was interesting also how in a part of the article, it was said that the Spaniards didnt show much interest in the masonry techniques of the Incas because it was far too hard and complex to replicate. That's a very interesting reason to hate something. They should have embraced the work, not shunned it! Another thing in the article that caught my attention was the fact that the Inca's were around AFTER the Pikillacta, and of course BEFORE us. The funny thing is, unlike much of today's society and the Pikillacta who chose a grid style on which to construct dwellings, the Inca chose their own distinctive style of architecture in which no land was compromised and no grids were laid out to disrupt nature.

My idea for the 2nd project stems from my love of the field of psychology. I thought about many types of systems that interested me (music systems such as speakers, social systems, systems dealing wth physics such as pulleys, etc, etc and after much thought and several sketches, I finally decided on the nervous system of the human body. I want to incorporate my interest in psychology in with my work and thought this would be perfect. In terms of architecture and how things make use of space, I thought maybe the way in which I connect the neurons will have portray an interesting form of architecture that can be interpreted differently to many people. We'll see how it goes, I seem to make adjustments as the projects unfold.