Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Inka Married the Earth

I felt that this reading was very interesting and refreshing. Looking into a culture that conforms to nature instead of destroying it is somewhat of a foreign idea, yet makes perfect sense. The Inka practice of grafting structures formed to the land allowed them to "become one" with their natural surroundings. Keeping in mind the Inka beliefs, it is quite easy to see and understand why this type of building system was important to the people. The ending results were not stagnant perfectly dimensioned buildings, but instead organic structurs that seemed to flow with the surrounding land.
The Inka architecture is very inspiring and has given me a ground to base my project upon. What is the purpose of architecture? Business? Shelter? Asthetics? This is a question I plan to investigate while planning my piece as I hope to create something that is both purposeful and intertwined with its surroundings, much like the Inka people.

No comments: