Wednesday, October 10, 2007

article & second project

I thought it was interesting that the Inka used the integrated rock outcrops to articulate the coming together of natural and built environments. The Inka had a great appreciation for Mother Earth and took full advantage of its useful materials. These outcrops that were bonded to the Earth tell the story of the place where Panchamama and Inka met. Structures that grew out from the outcrops were considered the "extremely handsome babies" of the union between Inka and the earth which makes this not only naturally important but culturally as well. I think this article gives a whole new appreciation for the way the Inka's cared for their land and made use of ready-made materials. The pictures that go along with the article help to give a better view and perspective of what the article is about. I feel that without them I wouldn't really understand what exactly an outcrop was.



As far as my second project goes, as creepy as it sounds I'm really fascinated with the aspect of voyeurism. So I was thinking of doing something along the lines of setting up a surveillance system. I haven't worked out any of the logistics yet but I want to try and incorporate ceramics and maybe video feeds or projections into the project. Hopefully I will be able to stick with this idea, but it might change a little bit. We'll see!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I think you have the opportunity to explore the idea of watching and looking upon others and/or being watched in an interesting way. I am interested in the idea you talked about today of having windows as a way to recreate an almost peeping experience. The possible use of two-way mirrors to interrupt the gaze and redirect it onto the viewer could be a great addition. Be thinking about what it is about voyeurism that you are interested in and what, if anything, you want to say about it through your current work.