Thursday, November 1, 2007

Class Critique/Ashley's Shoes

The class critique went differently than i expected. I am not an art major, so i dont really have them that often, so maybe that's whay i didnt get what i expected. I did not really find the critique that beneficial for 2 reasons. 1) I got very little feedback on the actual craftsmanship of my piece, and since i am not continuing with this piece, the other feedback seemed of little use to my future as an artist and 2) the focus of almost everything was on the joke that i had incorperated into the piece as an after thought instead of my main concept. The cold feedback I got was great. it showed that my piece properly conveyed my message that if we mix natural and artificial intelligence disasterous things can happen. I wanted to show an exploded head as the disaster, because if that were to happen to an actual person it would be. unfortunately, i did lose some of the pieces of scalp, so that did detract from the piece, and i could not splatter the fake blood everywhere, for it stains terribly (i was scrubbing the floor in the crit space, and it is still stained red), so that was not great either. Also, I left the brain in tact, because i felt that if it were in pieces it wouldnt convey my message properly. and, it was only the head that was supposed to have exploded, not the inner contents.I really did like the idea of having an eyeball on the side as part of the explosion, and if i were to do this again, i definately would incorperate that. I also would also make a bust instead of just the top of a head so that would be more obvious. I also would not even bother mentioning the joke, because it was barely even a part of the piece and was just taken wrong. Apparently I didnt convey my concept well when talking about it, and that is def something i can improve on for the next critique.

Ashley's shoes obviously showed a lot of work and attention to detail. Her shelves were a nice extra touch, as were the boxes with the individual labels. She obviously put a lot of care into all the details. One place where I saw room for improvement was mentioned in class--that the boxes were not obvious, and should be displayed with the shoes. Another place was with the darker boots--i believe they were supposed to be snakeskin. the insides looked unfinished compared to the rest of the shoes. I would have liked to see all the pieces glazed, but i do understand that to get the right textures that wsnt possible, but it would have been nice none the less. the concept however was not immediately obvious with her piece. I suppose that since many shoes now a days have animal prints, that aspect did not stand out. even then, I wasnt sure if the shoes were representing real animals as the label suggested), or if they were supposed to be a statement againts animal skins for fashion. that would be something to consider making more evident for the next piece. Overall good craftsmanship and great display!

2 comments:

Tisa said...

Bec, Hopefully you saw my feedback about your craftsmanship in my critique. I mentioned that I felt the brain and the skull were well crafted and that I appreciated the thought, time and use of the full entire ceramic process.This implies that you have a good skill in working in clay since your pieces held up throughout the full ceramic process. I believe others mentioned that the color and gloss of the brain added to the visual realism. Someone else appreciated that you pre-thought out the holes for the electrical wires while constructing the brain. Do you have more question for us about your craftsmanship?

Tara MacMurray said...

Ashley's shoes were very life like , even down to the texture of the glaze and how she represented each animal. Her presentation was also perfect because it gave the feeling of actually being inside a store. They are always trying to get the shopper to come in and buy their product and i was sold on her piece. The only negative thing i have to say is that i want to see the labels more connected to the actual pieces. I think this would be better achieved if they were sitting on top of the boxes all though the sticker on the bottom of the shoe would be more to life i dont know if people would want to pick them up. You would have to let them know that they could.