Friday, November 2, 2007

Thoughts On Critique/Tisa's Work

Part I :
I thought the critique went very well. Literally everyone in the class participated, which is unusual compared to most other critiques I have been to. It is certainly a good sign about the works that there was a great deal to discuss about each. Listening to everyone's different ideas and feedback about each other's project was definitely inspiring. I enjoyed seeing how different people interpreted the same project. All of my classmates seemed to receive valuable feedback that will surely help them if they wish to push their ideas further and if not, in future projects. Unfortunately, my work was not critiqued on wednesday. Since my initial project was a disaster I was not able to have my second one prepared to be shown for the critique. However, I did benefit from listening to my classmates' critiques. Although it was not about my work, it was still informative for me to see what aspects of each piece my classmates thought were working and which parts could be stronger. I am looking forward to having my work critiqued after seeing the helpful feedback each piece recieved. The only improvement i can think of for critique wold be to have the time divided evenly. I understand this is difficult to do when there is so much to discuss in only a couple of hours.

Part II :
I am writing a response to Tisa's work. For the most part I found her work to be quite intriguing. She had many individual parts to her work that she showed us. Each piece was unique from the others. After Tisa informed us that her work was not conceptually driven but very literal and focused on the aesthetic, I appreciated it more. It was really intended for the viewer to come up and carefully inspect the different parts. I had been searching for a meaning that wasn't there to begin with. I think the faces on certain pieces of her work were what made me search for a meaning. Her work is really about the study of and relationship between materials. It seems to ask the question of where nature ends and man-made begins and how blurred that line can get. The objects all look as if they are ancient. They are very weathered and have a fossilized appearance. Some even look as if they could have been a ceremonial piece from an ancient civilization. I found the pieces that looked like vertebrae to be the most interesting because of the intricate and delicate shape. I think Tisa was successful in her study of materials and attempt to blur the lines of what makes something natural. I wish the beautiful aesthetic quality of the work would be pushed a bit further. Since she has developed such an interesting visual appearance, i think it would be wonderful to see these aesthetic skills applied to a more developed concept. Overall, I think Tisa's work was a successful study of the relationship between materials.

4 comments:

Tisa said...

Alison can you suggest something along the lines of what you might mean by "more developed concept". I plan to keep working with this project of juxtapositioning of nature /clay on my own and think you might be able to give me something to aim for. Thanks

Bec said...

Tisa, your pieces were very well crafted, however since you were just trying to mimic nature took away from the piece as a whole. had you had a concept behind it, or at least behind the faces, I believe that the piece would be more striking and stick with the viewer longer. I do have to say though--you did a very good job recreating nature--I had to get very close to tell the difference between what was wood and what was clay.

Anonymous said...

I just want to reitterate the importance of display. Tisa, I know you already realized this.. but i absolutely loved your pieces, I just wish they had'nt fallen off the wall so we could have seen them displayed. In my opinion display can make or break a work- and I think it would have done your work justice to have it hanging for everybody to see. Hopefully in the future your epoxy will have time to set before you hang it so nothing else falls!! - Ashley Hamilton

Dan Rucker said...

I think Tisa project was the most unique out of the bunch. The pieces definitely had their own distinct look to them and. Sometimes having the artwork that stands out from the rest is considered the most successful of the bunch. With that being said, The projected needed to be displayed differently. I am a HUGE fan of mobiles and hanging work, I think a hanging device for the small parts would enhance and finish the peice.