Sunday, November 4, 2007

Critique

In the critique on Wednesday i got a positive feed back from my classmates. I feel that the response that was given to my piece was what i wanted. It also intrigued me that some people were more interested in the project before i told them what the idea was behind it. I would think that if people knew about the actual agent orange they would feel more strongly. I did benefit from the critique but i felt that it dragged on at some points but overall it was good.
To respond to Kerri's work i have to be honest. I don't want you to think that i am being mean its just how i feel on this particular subject. As i though about the nature vs. non nature i though of the plastic surgery idea but i felt so strongly against it because i have seen it done here in college so many times.I think that your work was one of the better representations but it has come up over and over again and not only do i see it done by students but it is shoved in our face all the time on TV. However besides the idea i like the way you presented the piece. Having it in the dark makes it an intimate object that the viewer has to come close to it and get personal with it. Also having it displayed on the hospital bed also played a key role to how we saw it, without that though i don't think that it would of been as strong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your analysis of the piece. I loved that I had to come up and explore the piece in the dark, something very non-traditional in high art. Something I would change with the glow in the dark paint are the shapes. I would do some research on actual mark making used by plastic surgeons and make these using the paint. I think that would help make the piece stronger, as I would find it much more believeable. The strongest part of your piece was certainly the presentation..very creepy, which added to the drama of your idea. - Ashley Hamilton

Dan Rucker said...

I agree with your views on how the critique went. I feel like the amount of time discussing each piece should be carefully monitored. Every student deserves equal time for reflection and Q&A. They should put a giant timer in the crit space so that everyone can see and know how much time has gone by.

kerri said...

I agree with the time issue as well. If everyone had come in before class to set up their projects ( of if people took down their projects in the crit space on time for that matter) we wouldn't have needed that additional 30 mins of set up time. Then we could have started on time and everyone would have had equal time.