Saturday, November 3, 2007

Kat's blog and critique response to Dan's work

i was surprised by how well the critique went and how much everyone was talking. i felt that i was really helpful for my own piece and i got to hear how people felt about my work and what came to their mind. it made me question the importance of it being known it is a brain and if that subject really matters. from the talk i liked the idea of extending the trunk of the brain and making it start from the floor and maybe go up higher. i would also maybe have a larger amount of goo all over the place.

Dan's piece was very structural and created many view points. i liked how the holes of the one wall would create a different view and show the other holes in the other wall. Dan's mixture of media was unique in our class and i think really added to the work. i think it would be cool one day to see this work life size because when i look at it i want to walk around among the walls. the pictures of Dan's work are extremely interesting because you can't really tell the size and the colors look amazing. i think in time it be interesting to see if this project could grow into a bigger larger version with clay and other mixed media.

2 comments:

Tara MacMurray said...

in dan's piece i felt that he worked it well. The mixed media brought my attention in more to see what was going on. What i liked the most about his piece was the negative shapes that were created. The mosaic tiles at the base really helped to add to the piece. It was colorful and gave off a playful feeling. If it were life sized i would want to see this at a playground or maybe out front of an office building. I feel at the office building you would see the kid come out in some people as they were so intrigued they just had to play

kerri said...

I really enjoyed the mix media Dan chose to incorporate in his piece. I'm a big fan of incorporating sculptural elements into pieces as well. Dan's piece was very architectural and reminded me, as well as others, of a model for a future building of some sort. I would have loved to see this in a larger scale so I could interact with it more. I was also interested in the process he went through to make the clay stay like that. From what I remember he pinned the clay to pieces of bent cardboard and then cut out the shapes that way which I thought was a very interesting approach.