Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Crit

I know it's late, but late is better than never.

In response to crit on Wednesday, I think it went pretty well. There was a lot of response and feedback to all the pieces, and for mine I think what was said about it was what I had wanted people to touch on, comments helpful to me, or things that I hadn’t noticed or thought about. The timing of crit could have been better so that the last pieces looked at didn’t have to be rushed through, but other than that I think it went well.

About Ben’s piece, I had seen it in progress and knew that it was referencing dreams. I know that the faces were originally intended to be wire wrapped, but that wasn’t working out exactly as planned. I think the wire cage/basket was a really good solution to the problems that Ben was having with wrapping the faces. I felt that the brown natural face on top was being sucked into the cage by the other faces, but after the explanation it’s also a feeling of that one face containing all the others below it. As was said by someone in crit, I would have liked to look down on the piece; I think that should have been taken a bit more into consideration by not putting the work on one of the tallest pedestals. Overall I think that Ben’s piece was very effective in getting across the dream state, collective conscious feeling that he wanted.


No comments: