Thursday, November 1, 2007

In response to the critique, I really liked the way it was run. I think it is always a good idea to have the artist let people respond to the piece first and then talk about their project and what direction they were heading in. As far as my project goes, it was nice to hear people actually telling the truth rather than just pretending to like it. Although I was kind of disappointed that people were focusing more on the hospital bed presentation rather than the actual piece itself and I don't know if that's my fault or just different peoples way of interpreting it. Overall I was pretty disappointed with my piece and I don't plan on taking it any further. I tried my best but unfortunately the idea in my head didn't match the finished project.



Kat's piece

When I first looked at Kat's piece I interpreted it as more of a tree rather than a brain. But then the more I looked at and saw the visual clues like the gel, I realized it had to be something else. I really enjoyed how there was so much movement to it with each twist and curve in the structure and also the way the gel moved down the pedestal. The gel definitely added a softer texture to it as opposed the brain which had a smoker’s lung effect from the glaze. Whether or not this piece was supposed to be touched, many people were drawn in by the gel and ended up touching it which was a great way to keep people interested in the piece. My favorite part of the piece was the area at the bottom of the brain where the gel met and the brain and sort of magnified the areas it was on top of.

2 comments:

Bec said...

I agree--when I first saw Kat's piece i def thought it was a tree. Her piece was definitely something I wanted to reach out and touch (which I think most of us did haha). That was primarily due to the gel. that extra bit really enhanced her piece and made the viewer stop and pay attention versus just walking by.

Ben Lenoir said...

I agree with Kerri that I really enjoyed the movement of the piece and how it seemed frozen in time. When I first saw it I definitely interpreted it as some kind of creature. As mentioned in class I think a display in which it would be on the floor or some other surface than a pedistal to help infer that movement would make a huge difference and keep us even more interested that we already were.