Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dan Rucker- 3rd Blog Assignment

Part I

I thought that yesterdays critique went very well. Everyone was participating and had great feedback. As a class, the crit space looked amazing. It was filled with various types of ceramic projects that really looked professional. I liked the structure of the crit, with the cold feedback coming first and then questions and answers after. I think formatting the critique like this helps to really get an idea for what is going through peoples heads when they look at your work. Especially for my type of artwork,which is at first confusing because it doesn't involve recognizable objects, its good to know that people may be confused but can at least have an idea as to what i was trying to do with the piece. After hearing the feedback about how people wanted to see my piece in large scale, it has only motivated me more to work on my second piece.

Part II

Larkins, project was very intriguing. Initially when I saw the piece I was curious to understand the meaning behind such an odd paring of objects. A log, and an electrical cord are never normally associated with each other unless its trying to tell us something. The concept of the draining of power/ energy and the switch from natural to artificial is defined in Larkins piece. Her ideas were well thought out and applied to the clay. Technically, the log looked very realistic. The scale of the log did not bother me. It wasn't necessary a massive stump, but it also wasn't a dinky little twig either. The electrical cord was well done as well. I like how it was black and not some other random color. It added to the level of realism. The plug was a bit larger than your average, but the size allowed viewers to identify what it was right away. The cord /coil was also well shaped and positioned and showed no cracking along the bends. All in all the project was well done, I cant really pinpoint anything that was wrong with the project. The craft was clean, the concept matched the piece, and it was a simple and aesthetically pleasing design.

No comments: