Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Addie's Blog

Where I liked the informal nature of the first crit, I liked the semi-professionalism of this one. For me, I enjoyed this critique, especially where it concerned my second project. I had an idea, late in the process, about working with the slip and oil pastels, and I felt like it didn’t really work, but I liked having the input from the others in the class that saw the same awkwardness. Most of the stuff we talked about in my critique I had already considered while creating my piece, things I didn’t realize until too late, like the varying thickness of the tiles I was using, because up until I placed them on, I was planning on grouting them so it looked more like a floor then an art object placed on the floor.
In relation to my first project – I would have loved to have been able to create a little enclosed space outside to truly make my idea work – and that hadn’t even occurred to be beforehand – I was dead set on having my light bulbs in a window.
I think that our first crit was more successful in that it was very informal, a relaxed atmosphere of the studio as opposed to the very museum-like area of the crit space, but there’s not much that can fix that, mainly because it’s nice to see all the pieces on official display.
Now onto Sarah’s pieces. I personally loved her Snapple bottles, especially the blue ones, and I know casting can be dull, but I wished she had made a couple more and actually conceived something out of them rather then basically saying, this is what I did.
With her second project, I liked it a lot while she was making itespecially the scale of it and the fact that it’s a teapot with a top that was in the shape of a tiny tea cup. The color, I know was accidental, but was still interesting, as it made it seem very tough (not quite sure what that means, but that’s what it made me feel). I only wish she had either done something else other then cut it in half, or like we said in crit, displayed it in a different way. 

As for part two – there are two ideas I’m thinking of. The first is something I’ve kinda wanted to do since the Beginning Ceramics, but I’m not quite sure how I would be able to do it successfully with out being cheesey – and that’s something inspired by Alice in Wonderland , …can you think of any greater type of escape then the one conceived by Lewis Carrol?
Another idea I was thinking of was playing around more with slip. This past week , I fan-folded some slip, and I really liked the effect that it created, and since in my last project I wanted to create something durable you could walk on, this time I think I might want to go in the opposite direction, something that the viewer converses with by avoiding it, as if getting too near might break it.
~ Addie Willuweit

No comments: