Sunday, April 27, 2008

Critique

I found the class critique beneficial though my second piece was not ready for display and my first had been critiqued previously. I found it interesting to see the how the response to my piece changed after in was glazed. Additionally, I got useful feedback about bringing out textures in my work. I also found the idea of possibly tying my first piece into my second, for display, interesting. To improve the class critique I would try to have people install their pieces earlier. This way more thought could go into the installation process. It appeared that some people ran out of time and were not able to install their work in the manner that they had originally intended.

I found Chuck’s pieces very interesting. I think they will turn out nicely if he is able to get the glaze to change. I liked the fact that the pieces were all unique. However, I think it would be great if he tried to make some even larger and possibly smaller pieces to incorporate with the others. This would help stress the pieces individuality. Yet, if he wants to keep the same general size it might be nice to add in extra details or textures. The work left me wondering if there was a reason for the order in which the pieces were displayed. It might also be nice if he plays with some different glazes for the pieces to make them seem even more individual from each other.

I have several ideas which I am considering for the third project. However, I think I would like to investigate the idea of a landscape. I plan to create various shapes and forms out of paper or other material then cover them in slip. After this I would like to use a couple of different firing methods on the resulting objects.

No comments: