Monday, April 28, 2008

Lisa's Blog

When Harmony Hammond first started talking I thought the lecture was going to be a lot more focused on Feminism and lesbianism but these issues weren't overwhelming throughout the lecture. I liked that she explained her thought process behind her art as well as the actual process of making each work. I found it especially interesting where she got her materials from and how she used mostly discarded material. As she was trained as a painter, I enjoyed her viewpoint that all art objects can be approached in a painterly way, such as her description of tied rags as three dimensional brush strokes. The pieces I like the most are her "presences" that hang from the ceiling (not the bag ones on the wall) and the mixed media installation paintings with the tin roofing (farm ghosts?). While this lecture was on the long side, I think the artist did a good job of keeping the audience interested. Having never heard of the Harmony Hammond before, I found it a very informative lecture with !
!
a good mix of background information on the artist, materials she used, her processes and techniques, as well as her thoughts behind her work.

No comments: