Thursday, April 24, 2008

Phillip Craig-Critique thoughts

Our critique for our first and second projects was pretty beneficial for me. Like most critiques, it lets me know what I can do to improve my work. Even if we don’t have a chance to work on the particular project that was being critiqued, the advice can still be helpful in future projects. It also lets me know how other people see the work so I can view my work outside of my own preconceptions. For the computer piece, for example, I would never have thought of using an office desk set up unless someone had brought it up. Personally, I liked having our critique on the first project before it was due, as it let us make improvements while we still had the chance to work on it.
Okay, critique time. Sean sculptures, the nude and skeletal bust, were quite interesting. The paint job is well done, and the craftsmanship is ridiculously good. Since most of the work in the critique was abstract, it was nice seeing some work that was representational. My only qualm was already brought up in the critique, when it was said that the nude is a familiar image and the bust was reminiscent of Pirates of the Caribbean. I would be nice to see more work with this level of craftsmanship, but with completely original images and/or themes for the next project.
I haven’t quite figured out what to do with our next project. I noticed in the syllabus that it mentioned “escape” as an example of scape. I would like to make something around this theme. I’m still not very good at thinking metaphorically, so whatever I make will probably be more literal.

No comments: